The much anticipated new St. Brigid Catholic Elementary School – which commenced construction in 2017 — will open its doors to the students and school community in January, 2018. The single-storey, 3553 sq. m. facility includes a welcoming open foyer, double gymnasium, seven-plus classrooms, two kindergarten rooms, a learning commons area and a five-room child care facility. The school replaces the existing “temporary” St. Brigid CES, still operating on the same site. The total cost of the project is $8.19 million.
The school communities of St. Vincent de Paul CES and St. Francis CES are also eagerly awaiting the completion of the new St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Elementary School. The $13.2 million project is on track to open in September, 2018. The new school is being built on the existing St. Vincent de Paul school property. The two-storey design incorporates the existing school gym and change room and boasts an open atrium, 19 classrooms and a five-room child care centre. The current St. Francis CES will permanently close once the new St. Vincent de Paul CES opens.
School Renewal — Major Highlights
In 2016-17, more than $14 million was spent on more than 75 work projects to improve and upgrade our schools. Projects included renovations to FDK exterior play areas, major roof replacement work and the upgrading and replacing of major building components. Highlights include:
- Roof replacement work at Monsignor Doyle CSS, St. Kateri CES and St. Matthew CES.
- Upgrades to JK/SK exterior play areas at Our Lady of Lourdes, St. John, Monsignor Haller, St. Aloysius, St. Daniel, St. Gabriel, St. Timothy, St. Paul, Blessed Sacrament, St. Dominic Savio and St. Teresa of Calcutta Catholic Elementary Schools. These upgrades included paved pathways and the installation of artificial turf.
- Installation of a new gym floor, washroom, lighting and exterior signage at Our Lady of Grace CES.
- Partial roof replacement, new interior and exterior LED lighting, and a refresh in the main entrance including painting and a bright new wall mural at St. Peter CES.
- Relocation of the main office area and construction of a new, welcoming main entrance at St. Paul CES. Other work included upgrades to the heating system, installation of water hydration fountains, new classroom flooring and a fresh coat of paint and mural in the gym.